Monday, March 10, 2008

Social Contract

Social Contract PDF Print E-mail
Posted by labisman
Monday, 10 March 2008

Sample Image

BN failed to realise that they had breached the “Social Contract” a very long time ago.

To them (some of their arrogant ministers have used this term in the past, albeit without knowing its true meaning), they actually thought that the electorate in the past had given them a carte blanche to do anything they wished to the detriment of all Malaysians save for a select few. We did have ministers who arrogantly would say “The People elected us”. They were drunk of this fact. Not surprisingly, whilst in their politically drunken stupor, they failed to realise that the same “People” could send them to policitical oblivion as well.

They had breached the Social Contract and knowing that they could get away with it after the last few decades, they went on to demean, mock and scorn this concept. But the Social Contract is a true and living concept. It is there. Its terms are real and the consequences of its breach will be seen eventually. The contract can be taken away when it has been breached by any government as was seen last Saturday.

We gave up some of our rights to be governed by the government of the day, otherwise all of us would be no different from the law of the The Wild Wild West. Giving up these rights doesn’t mean it is given up forever, because pursuant to the concept of the Social Contract, it can be taken back. It was the electorate’s rights to self-govern that were traded in exchange for these MPs to form the government to govern. Breach the contract to govern effectively and properly, then the contract is breached and the electorate takes back these rights to be given to others.

I did not even register as a voter until December 2007. What made me drag myself to the nearest post office to register? It’s because I felt that the Social Contract has been breached (especially when I read and heard more and more of the antics of one non-elected relation of the PM and the squandering of tax payers’ monies). I always believed in this concept right from the time I read about it during my 1st year reading law. Looking at the results now, I am extremely delighted that I played a part in it by voting for the very first time in my life! I suppose now that there were thousands who felt the same way as I did.

To our new heroes in the four states of Kedah, Penang, Perak and Selangor. I wish you the very very best and I am confident that you will do a great job as the new State Government. But I must caution you of this: “Power tends to corrupt, absolute power corrupts absolutely”. The BN had their own customized concept of “All power tends to corrupt, absolute power is even more exciting!”, and eventually had their faces dragged through mud for this.

To our own Nelson Mandelas and Martin Luther Kings at Kamunting now, I salute you for the sheer guts and nerves you displayed in walking up and testing the racist BN.

So to the Barisan Alternatif, do remember the concept of the “Social Contract”. Entrench this firmly into your actions and goals and I dare say that you will be on your way towards forming the next Federal Government, perhaps in 2012/13.

Best Regards,

No comments: